The city of Downey is situated approximately 21 kilometers southeast of downtown Los Angeles and is part of the Gateway Cities. It is near the cities of Bell Gardens, Paramount, Bellflower, Cudahy, and Norwalk. Downey is the home of the Apollo Space Program and the oldest operating McDonald’s restaurant.
Downey has a land area of 12.4 square miles and an estimated population of 113,242. The median resident age is 32.9 years and about 35% of the population are foreign-born.
Employment in Downey
Unemployment in Downey as of June 2014 was at 6.5% of the population, lower than the California state unemployment rate of 7.3%.
The most common occupations in Downey are in production, office and administrative support, sales, transportation, installation, maintenance and repair works, construction and extraction occupations, and material moving jobs.
Downey has a large female population working in the metal and mineral industry as well as in repair and maintenance establishments.
Sexual Harassment in Downey
Sexual harassment is a serious issue in the workplace and is prohibited under federal and California state laws. There is sexual harassment when an employee experiences unwelcome sexual, physical, or verbal conduct in the workplace. It may be Quid Pro Quo behavior where an employee is offered employment benefits in exchange for sexual favors or Hostile Environment harassment such as firing an employee for refusing to grant sexual favors or for filing a complaint about the harassment.
Other acts that may be considered as sexual harassment include:
- Touching, impeding or blocking movements
- Displaying suggestive objects or pictures, cartoon or posters
- Making derogatory comments or jokes
- Unwanted sexual advances
- Verbal abuse of a sexual nature or sexually degrading words
Employer Liability for Sexual Harassment
Every employer in California has a legal duty not to sexually harass an employee and to prevent sexual harassment in the workplace. The employer may be liable even if management was unaware of the harassment. For employers of 50 or more workers, the law additionally requires them to provide 2 hours of sexual harassment prevention training to supervisors every 2 years.
If you are subjected to unwanted sexual advances or are the subject of retaliatory moves for resisting such behavior, it’s important to consult an employment attorney who can assess your situation immediately.
California law requires the complaint for sexual harassment to be filed with the appropriate agency within a year of the harassment. Prompt action is important in order to preserve your right of action against the responsible party.
In the city of Downey, California and other parts of East Los Angeles, the Law Offices of Anthony Choe has a proven track record in the area of sexual harassment. Call us today at (213) 788-4448 to learn more about how we can help you.
Directions to Los Angeles Worker’s Compensation Lawyer from Downey, CA
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Total Est. Time: 30 min
Total Est. Distance: 17.3 mi
- Get on I-5 N from Downey Ave
- Head northeast on Downey Ave toward Downey Ave
- Turn left onto Gallatin Rd/Gallatin School House Rd
- Turn right onto Paramount Blvd
- Turn right to merge onto I-5 N toward Los Angeles
- Continue on I-5 N. Drive from I-10 W to Los Angeles. Take the Normandie Ave exit from I-10 W
- Merge onto I-5 N
- Use the right 2 lanes to keep right at the fork, stay on I-5 N and follow signs for I-10 W/Santa Monica/Interstate 5 N/Sacramento
- Use the right 2 lanes to take the exit toward Interstate 10 W/Santa Monica Freeway/Santa Monica
- Merge onto CA-60 W
- Merge onto I-10 W
- Take the Normandie Ave exit toward Western Ave
- Use the right lane to keep left at the fork and continue toward S Western Ave
- Use the right lane to keep right at the fork and continue toward S Western Ave
- Keep right at the fork to continue on Exit 11, follow signs for Western Ave
- Follow S Western Ave to Wilshire Blvd
- Turn right onto S Western Ave
- Turn right onto Wilshire Blvd
Call us today (213) 788-4448
We are located at:
LAW OFFICES OF ANTHONY CHOE
3700 Wilshire Blvd Suite 260
Los Angeles, CA 90010.